PICA Kit Building – 36” wing span Luftwaffe FW 190 by Kamal Parvez Butt

This model has been built by Kamal Parvez Butt. It has a 36″ wing Span. It’s being made from a 1/12th scale PICA kit

This is part of the Luftwaffe Mistel Project by Kamal Parvez Butt.

Sheeting wetted to make pliable and stuck to formers with masking tape to take form of fuselage. Will be glued once dry

Glued and sanded to shape

This is what it’s going to look like with the tail

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

… and cowl

Wing Spar

Main structure of wing assembled, not a single drop of glue used yet!

All jig lock construction

This airplane was designed for 1/12 scale combat and the wing is supposed to be fully sheeted to make it strong enough to withstand a few knocks. I have no intention of using it for combat so won’t be going for a fully sheeted wing. Besides that, the hard balsa keels in the middle of the wing provide a jog for wing construction, but once the wing is made, they only add unnecessary weight.

Therefore decided to spend an hour with the dremel and remove as much of the superfluous wood as I could.

Just out of curiosity, I compared the weights of balsa sheets provided for the wing skins. This may not seem much, but on a big project can have significant weight implications of wood not carefully chosen

Wing sheeted top and bottom to spars.

I’ve relocated the landing gear mounts much further back than called for in the plans

It’s part 2 of the DFS glider. To get the DFS glider airborne, I thought of making an electric power pod. But then thought might as well make it a Mistel project. The Germans in WW2 experimented with a fighter carried piggy back in DFS gliders and other aircraft. The FW 190 is basically going to be an electric power pod with wings. A bit ambitious but let’s see. Strictly speaking the top fighter should be an Me 109. But let’s see if it works first…

Wing sheeted, cap strips installed and leading and trailing edges sanded to shape

Final sanding and shaping of wing tips to go, and the wing should be ready for covering.

Ailerons will not be used so glued in place. Have opted to use flaps which may help in preventing nose overs during take off and act as spoilers for landing.

It won’t have rudder either. Only elevator flaps and motor control.

Wing is sanded and almost ready for covering.

The Fw 190 is going to be a power pod attached on top of the DFS glider. In essence that means that the entire contraption is going to be a biplane. The turns are going to be made by the ailerons and rudder on the DFS glider. The motive force is going to be by the electric motor on the FW. I added flaps and ailerons to the Fw because with a low centre of drag and high thrust line, the tendency on opening power for takeoff may be to nose over.

Because the elevator of the DFS will not be in the prop wash, it won’t be very effective during the initial takeoff roll. The Fw elevator and flaps will be in the prop wash and so prevent nose overs. Moreover the flaps can go up and act as spoilers for landing. That’s the idea anyway….. Only a flight test will reveal if any of the above makes sense or not.

The kit has one screwing the cowl to the fuselage side with sheet metal screws but Ill try and come with a neater arrangement. I made a ply nose ring that will be glued on the inside of the cowl and it will be attached to the firewall from the front cowl opening with three screws.

The kit as it’s modeled is only way stand off scale so decided to dress it up with balsa gun blisters, an oil cooler fairing on the cowl and some wing fillets. Faired everything with some light weight filler.

Didn’t have a pilot figure but found a head which I mated to some styrofoam and carved the body to approximate shape.

Should be ok after some paint.

A bit over scale in the cockpit. But fits in and nothing else on hand.

Began covering the fuselage with tissue and dope.

Fuselage complete.

Work on Wings. Silk and Dope

Gunther/Heinz ready to occupy cockpit.

Unfortunately had to chop him quite a bit to make room for servo compartment.

But did manage to save his knights cross which he won over many dangerous missions.

Instrument panel for the amputee pilot.

Made with some scrap thin ply, acetate and some instrument faces printed out to size.

Just made some bits of detail with paper and bits of balsa before gluing the canopy.

Should look sufficiently busy after some paint.

Fw 190 painted. Need to make markings for it.

The Fw 190 kit came with some vinyl stickers but decided not to use them. They tend to collect grime around the edges give a toying look and over time tend to wrinkle.

So decided to paint all the markings. Wasted hours measuring and masking managed to do the whites around the crosses.

Fw 190 almost done.


More Details at Luftwaffe Mistel Project by Kamal Parvez Butt

Keep visiting Model Aircraft News.

If you have any comments or words to say you can write them in comments section below this post….

Share with

0 Replies

Write a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.